Srpski | English | Русский

Gardos tower

Gardos To mark thousand years of their stay in Panonia, Hungarians raised monumental buildings in Budapest in 1896 and four more monuments were built in four towns on the overall borders of their kingdom. Zemun as the southernmost town in the possession of Hungarian crown was one of that towns.

Zemun milenium building was built on the most outstanding place of Gardos hill, in the ruins of mediaeval fort from which today was left only angular towers and parts of defending wall. Tower was constructed by hungarian architects, eclecticaly in mix of the historical styles with emphasis on the roman elements. Building was finished on August 5th 1896 while the ceremonial opening was 15 days later. That morning were held ceremonial liturgies in all churches in Zemun. The whole area around the tower today is popular promenade of people in Zemun better known as Gardos.

 

Church of the Holy Mother of God

Bogorodičina crkva On west side of old city core which had been evolving since the beginning of XVIII century in 1775 was put the foundation stone for the new ortodox church. Church was blessed in 1783. It was built in three compartiments. Over naosom is baroque cube.At the first time,without the bell-tower, it kept some traditional serbian-byzantin elements, like others older serbian churches in Vojvodina, but at the end of that same century it got todays shape. At the end of XVIII century the bell-tower was built on the west side and in 1880 it was thoroughly reconstructed. Church of the Holy Mother of God is the largest temple in the old city core of Zemun. It has reachly carved iconostasis which was made by Arsenije Markovic with icons painted by Arsenije Arsa Todorovic.

Madlenianum

MADLENIANUM National theatre of Zemun was rented in 1998. to Chamber Opera Madlenianum. In January 1999. the first premiere was performed- Secret Marriage by Domeniko Cimaroze. Since then, Madlenianum is the heart of culture life in Zemun, with it’s opera, ballet and theatre performances.

Lido

Lido By Carigrad’s covention on March 2nd 1741 it was regulated question of Danube’s and Sava’s islands. The big war island was split on two parts with the border line was drew through the middle of island. Half of island reversed to Belgrade refered to Turks and side reversed to Zemun and Banat refered to Austria.Altough it was predicted that army shouldn’t be on island, as well as hard objects, that grass should have been cut, each sides didn’t respect that.Even before the war in 1788 citizens of Zemun had been farming the land on island and fishermen had their cottages where they inflected during the storms. In time of the first serbian mutiny in december 1806 and january 1807 gunmen of Karadjodje fired Belgrade from the island with tacit acceptance of zemun’s military commander.

Through the whole XIX century space of Big war island had mostly agricultural assignment. Though after the end of I World war beach had been arranged, which soon get character of one of the most beautiful river’s beaches in Europe together with earlier arranged Vienna’s Genzenhojfel. Beach experienced its golden era in decade before I World war.Well arranged and daily cleaned, equiped with all needed objects was famous afar and place on which people of Belgrade envyed to their neighbours.

Long after the war, popular Lido hadn’t been used, and planners even decided to arrange island for needs of building New Belgrade in 1948.

That would have been successful if Danube didn’t start to bring much more sand then dredgers could raise so this idea was receded. Not long after that beach on island became the most pleased place of people in Zemun in the summer time.

Kej

Zemunski kej By the coast of Danube there is a long promenade on which the most part of Zemun social life is happening. Sports fans are training there regularly, and the others are relaxing with easy walk and drinking refreshing drinks on various cafes and restaurants placed on the river.